For my English and Hindustani poetry blogs visit:


Thursday, April 16, 2009

MOTHER EARTH

since millennia
you have been doing this to me
carving portions of my body
drawing lines on my person
each bloodier than the last
you kept multiplying

and kept drawing lines
taking a piece of your own
nothing else would suffice
you never stopped to think
of my wounds or my pain
you continued

till the borders grew so tight
and my pieces so small
you could have had me

for mincemeat
now I am unrecognizable
as far as the eye can see
there are walls, fences and barricades
you call them countries, states, nations
but the lines that you so meticulously drew
also broke homes, families, hearts
they cut rivers, meadows and mountains
even the skies are in tatters

as you cannot fly into another’s
nothing is complete today
nothing is free

only one thing is true
there are enemies on every side
you spend millions to survive hate
what could have been yours with love

1 comment: